Going on a family holiday has never been easy; the mere thought of travelling with kids gives me anxiety. With baggage restrictions and rules, packing for a family holiday can turn out to be an absolute dilemma. But knowing how to pack light will guarantee that you and your family will have a hassle-free holiday. I know what’s running through your mind right now; how is it even possible to pack light when travelling with kids? I mean, packing for a family or kids requires a Diploma! When travelling with kids, there is always a tendency to pack items you don’t really need, and this results in excess luggage. We do this because, as parents, we want to be extra prepared. So, please read on below as I will be giving you tried and tested tips and tricks on how to travel light with kids.
Travel hacks for packing light when travelling with kids
Family travel can be overwhelming, and it gets challenging when you’ve got kids in the picture, but don’t worry, it gets easier with practice. Here’s how you do it, take a look at this list of travel hacks that can be useful when travelling with kids. This will save you time, money, and bust the stress and make your next trip go smoothly.
- Make a checklist – Now, this is important! First, make a list of the things you need to pack. (clothes, equipment, day to day essentials, and so forth)
- Get proper luggage – Such as carry-on luggage because when it comes to travelling with kids, it’s always better to be hands-free than dragging a wheely bag with you throughout your trip.
- Pack in advance – Use the list you made and pack early by this; if you should find any unnecessary items, you can always take it out, and it saves you a load of time!
- Personal luggage – Pack this bag only with essentials you need for day to day needs.
Don’t forget to pack in some wipes (for obvious reasons)
- Choose your baby gear – Don’t carry heavy baby equipment. (Before you go, find out if can rent out baby gear at your destination)
- Use packing cubes – This will enable you to plan on the availability of space visually. (One for each family member)
- Create a minimalist wardrobe – Each family member will need: T-shirts, pants, clothes for layering, shoes, and accessories depending on the destination and how long your holiday is (pack essential clothing that you can mix and match)
Just so you know, rolling your clothes instead of folding them saves a lot of space
- Minimize on toiletries – Get a tiny makeup kit and travel-size toiletry samples that come in small containers. Or you can ditch it as most of the hotels offer complimentary toiletries as well.
- Pack a first-aid kit – Pack in only the essential medicines like band-aids, allergy meds, Epi-pen, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, and so on, and so forth.
- Take travel size electronics – Organize all the cords, cables, and electronics together in a travel grid to handle the mess.
- Extra baggage – Not to forget to add in an extra flexible bag that can be packed into your luggage.
Where to go on holiday and things to do when travelling with kids
Travelling with kids can be an enriching experience, with lots of kid-friendly destinations’ waiting to be explored. If you are looking for the best family holiday destinations for your next trip, the below list of family-friendly destinations might help you narrow down your search.
Sri Lanka is a popular family holiday destination and an easy-going place, especially for kids. With a plethora of activities that can fascinate and interest kids. The kids will enjoy a visit to the Turtle hatcheries, to release baby turtles into the ocean, revel in kid-friendly snorkelling, or go on exciting safaris for opportunities to spot wildlife, including Elephants, Leopards, birds, and more! A swim in the shallow waters or simply frolicking on the shores of the beach is always a delight for little ones.
When it comes to travelling with kids, France is one of Europe’s best family destinations because it has it all. A visit to Disneyland is an absolute kid’s favourite! The kids will love a visit to the iconic Eiffel Tower at night as they witness the magical bright lights. They can even play in the parks near the Eiffel Tower and take a spin on a carousel to make the visit even more fun.
Italy is the perfect family holiday destination that offers an ideal mix of jaw-dropping views, kid-friendly food, iconic landmarks. Kids can be entertained at Gardaland on Lago di Garda, one of the biggest theme parks in Italy or even go on a gondola ride exploring the city of Venice which will be a definite hit with the kids.
South Africa is one of the best kid-friendly destinations in the world for all-around splendour. There are several attractions like Simon’s Town Penguin colony at Boulders Beach, or Monkeyland and the Birds of Eden (free flight bird sanctuary). But wait, there’s more! The postcard identity of South Africa is its wildlife, and the kids will be thrilled to spot these creatures on a wildlife safari.
Singapore is one of the best Far East destinations that stands out as the best holiday destination when travelling with kids. They will love Singapore’s Night Safari, as the kids witness nocturnal animals wandering about in their natural habitats. Explore Singapore’s Science Centre; kids will love this place, jam-packed with interactive displays for hands-on experiences. I am also sure you wouldn’t want the kids to miss the adventures at Universal Studios, Sentosa Island, and the Gardens by the Bay.
What better place for your kids to have the time of their lives other than Santa’s homeland itself in Lapland? Visit Santa’s Village, where it’s Christmas every day, and the little ones will have a chance to meet jolly old Father Christmas himself! This is a wonderful place to revel in arctic adventures such as going on a husky ride or taking a ride on a traditional reindeer sleigh through the snow-capped forest.
Family holidays give kids wonderful memories and unique opportunities to discover new things. Check out the fantastic family holiday offers & flight deals from Travel Center UK; call or email us to let us know how we can help you find the perfect holiday based on your requirements and preference when travelling with kids!